But time is one thing we all want more of.
And we all get the same amount everyday.
The only thing we can’t guarantee is how much time we have left (in life).
So put simply, I want to spend more time on things that are important to me.
Groceries are essential but not something I would say I enjoy doing. There’s other things I’d much rather do.
So this is where Hello Fresh comes into my life.
I simply cannot fit enough in 24 hours (as I sit here blogging in the wee hours of the night). So when I find something that can save me time – I like to share it.
It might not help everyone. But if it helps one person, I’m happy.
It’s just one of the many options out there these days; like lite n easy, weight watchers, food4fitness etc.
“Eating healthy is too expensive” some might say.
Yes it can be but if you’re smart about it, it doesn’t have to be.
It’s about planning.
It’s about knowledge.
It’s about personal choices, values, taste, affordability, lifestyle etc.
Ok, so the Hello Fresh concept is simple – they create the meals for the week, pack it in a box, deliver it to your door and you do all the cooking. They provide all* the ingredients you need and recipe cards. Everything BUT the chef (you).
So this works for me.
Yes, it is pricey.
Yes, I’ve spent a little more on groceries these past two weeks; and
Yes, I still need to go to the supermarket for fruit, school lunches, toiletries and the odd ingredients.
But I don’t have to spend an hour at the supermarket.
I don’t waste money on excess ingredients.
And my family are loving it. In more ways than one:
- they love the meals I’ve cooked (from scratch);
- there’s not much left over and wasted; and
- I have more time to spend with them = quality time
So the way it works is you subscribe to Hello Fresh. It’s free to join. If you don’t want the box delivered next week, you just pause the delivery. In a nutshell.
The meals are the same for every member for the week. So when you check out your social media feeds like Instagram, you can see what next week’s meals will be.
This is only my 2nd week so I’ve only cooked a handful of recipes but so far all the meals have been a hit with my family. Even my 6 year old son (who can be picky at the best of times), hasn’t complained about a dish yet.
The cooking times range from 20-50 minutes and some were actually cooked faster than the estimated time, even though I was reading the recipe card.
I chose the family box for 4-5 people which has 4 meals, as recommended to me by my sister. This box allows for 2 lunches to be packed for work the next day for me and my hubby. The best part is that the meals still taste delicious warmed up the next day. No joke.
I haven’t stopped raving on about this to my friends and colleagues, because I really think this is going to change the way my family eats and our lifestyle. We have more time to spend together just by changing the way I do my groceries.
What about the food? I hear you ask. So here’s what I’ve tried so far:
- Cajun chicken with brown rice medley;
- Wagyu beef burger;
- Speedy steaks with cheesy chive mash;
- Pesto chicken fettuccine;
- Tandoori steak chapati with minted yoghurt.
And here’s my verdict:
- The chicken could have had a tad more flavour but was still tasty. We loved the rice medley;
- OMG. One of my faves. Even the next day, I was drooling over this. Needs a side dish though;
- The photo doesn’t do this meal justice. My son doesn’t like mash or herbs but he loved this;
- I’m not a fan of basil and pesto and I enjoyed this meal. Some great flavours in this dish; and
- Not enough chapati or zucchini. But the flavour was authentic.
- No joining fee
- No minimum subscription length
- Minimal time spent at the supermarket
- Minimal ingredients = maximum flavour
- Save time: no more meal planning
- Direct debit payment
- Good delivery windows. Even one from 2-7am on Saturdays which works for me and the driver even delivered at 2am (as you can see from the text message). Although I had to change this as it woke up my family
- Friendly drivers
- App is easy to use
- Delicious meals the whole family will enjoy
- There’s a referral code** to share with friends/family who join. They benefit by getting a discount on their first box, and you get a discount on your next box
- Recipes are easy to follow with pictures, ‘did you know?’, nutritional table and a meal intro
- Meals still taste delicious for lunch the next day
- Subscription service
- You need to remember to pause your delivery for the week if you don’t want it delivered
- You need to deactivate your subscription if you no longer want to continue
- Not exactly affordable
- You still need to go to the supermarket for bits and bobs
- Peak seasons like Christmas/New Year – they are giving me grief about delivery during this time
- You can’t pick and choose the meals. They are the same for every member for the week
- People who have special dietary requirements may find this doesn’t suit them entirely
*Not all ingredients are provided. Staples you need in your pantry include
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- brown sugar
- soy sauce
- fish sauce
- vegetable oil
- red wine vinegar
All this stuff I had anyway. So it was no big deal for me.
** My Australian readers can use my referral code 85DHV6 for $35 off your first box. Click here to be redirected to the website.
I’ll keep you posted on this as time progresses. Time that I now have back.
Until then, keep smiling! 😃